Muelle Uno: Málaga’s Fantastic New Waterfront ComplexBy
A visit to Málaga’s city centre is a ‘must do’ for anyone visiting the Costa del Sol for a holiday. You’ll want to do the whole cultural tour of the city taking in its famous museums and iconic landmarks such as the Cathedral or the Alcazaba; however, there’s a new attraction in town and it’s well worth a visit: Muelle Uno (Pier One).
This new (relatively) waterfront shopping centre is probably one of my favourite stops when I wonder in to Málaga city centre. With spectacular modern architecture and a fantastic selection of shops and restaurants, Muelle Uno provides the perfect setting for a family outing.
Málaga’s newest attraction is ideally split into 3 different areas: Services and accessories, fashion and restaurants. Another great advantage is that the complex offers a large underground parking area which means you won’t have to tackle the Málaga traffic for too long
Muelle Uno is ideal if you just fancy a quiet stroll along Málaga’s waterfront and do a little window shopping (or the real thing) but is also great if you have kids as there are plenty of facilities and activities to keep them amused. A great selection of restaurants and cafés provide ample dining choices and we’ll go into this in a little more detail below.
Keeping the kids happy
As I mentioned earlier, Muelle Uno has some great facilities for children. Here’s a few of our favourites:
1) Children’s playgrounds – This is where my family spends most of its time when we visit Muelle Uno as its impossible to pull the kids away from here! These aren’t your usual playground areas; the Muelle Uno designers have gone to a lot of trouble to create playgrounds which offer a wonderful – and different – selection of swings, activities and games which will delight the little ones. Made from wood, recycles tires and other eco friendly products, these playgrounds provide a new and refreshing concept.
2) Popyn Park – This is a 1700m2 play park (paid) full of fun activities such as trampolines, minicars, mini golf and adventure play area. The area is covered so no need to worry about the hot summer sun; or the rain, for that matter!
3) Glu Glu Club – For 4 to 12 year olds, this kiddies club is a fantastic service where the kids can enjoy games, theatre, reading, arts & crafts, face painting and lots more… best part is that it’s absolutely free! Opening hours are from 6pm to 9pm on Fridays, 12pm to 2pm and 6pm to 9pm on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
Muelle Uno has a great selection of shops, from designer labels to discount shoe stores. Shops are open from 10am to 10pm from Monday to Saturday (closed on Sundays).
Restaurant & Bars
If you’re looking for a nice place to eat and at reasonable prices, Muelle Uno’s selection of bars and restaurants will not disappoint you; an added bonus is that the views from the terraces are beautiful! There is something for everyone: Italian, Indian, American Diner, Sea Food, Tapas, Crepes, Pizzas… Here are a few places you might want to try:
- Cervecería La Sureña– This is great for a light tapa and a cool beer. They specialise in selling large plates (called ‘raciones’ in Spanish) of ‘Jamón Serrano’ and fresh prawns at just €6 per plate as well as ice-filled buckets with 5 bottles of beer for just €3… amazing value! (See photo)
- Marisquería Godoy – A very well known name in Málaga (they’ve been around for more than 20 years) and the perfect place for enjoying all kinds of fresh fish and sea food.
- Spazio Nature – They specialise in crepes (sweet and savoury) and fresh fruit juices. Try and get a table on the large terrace area with great views to the port.
Look out for the street market (Zoco) which takes place the second Sunday of the month over the summer. Planned dates for this summer are 8th July, 12th August (7pm to midnight) and 9th September (10am to 4pm). With a wide selection of stalls selling all sorts of arts and crafts, it’s a great place to find interesting holiday gifts to take home
So how do we get to Muelle Uno?
Just follow road signs into the centre of Málaga and either park in the main Alameda underground parking area – Muelle Uno is just a short walk from there – or follow signs to the Muelle Uno parking area. Here’s a link to a Google Map which pinpoints the exact location of Muelle Uno .
I hope you find this post useful and that it’s given you another idea for places to visit the next time you come to Sunset Beach Club . Have you been to Muelle Uno? What did you think? Be sure to let us know in the comments below.