This weekend sees the start of the Costa del Sol’s largest and most popular fair, the Malaga Fair or Feria de Málaga as it’s referred to here!
If you haven’t been before, we highly recommend you do so! Get ready for 9 days of fun and entertainment as the city welcomes thousands of visitors from all over Spain for, what has become, the most popular summer fair in Andalucía and one of the most popular festivities in Spain.
The official opening of the fair is on Friday 10th August and promises to be an entertaining affair with a spectacular pyrotechnical display and a free concert by local group, Efecto Mariposa. This all takes place on the Malagueta Beach just next to the port’s famous lighthouse from 11:50 pm.
There’s so much to see and do at the Málaga Fair that we’ve included a brief summary of the fair’s main attractions and events; just choose your favourites:
- The ‘Romería’: On Saturday 11th August, watch the beautiful horses and carriages make their way from the town hall (on the main Alameda Avenue) to the Victoria Sanctuary in this traditional tribute to Malaga’s Patron Saint. The processión starts at 11:30 am.
- The ‘Feria’ in the Centre of Town: This is our favourite part of the Malaga fair where you’ll be able to enjoy wine, tapas, music and lots of dancing in the streets of the city’s historic centre. Everyday (11th to 19th August) from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Fiesta de Verdiales: Traditional folklore every day (12th to 19th August) in Calle Larios at 1:00 pm.
- Flamenco: You’ll be able to watch some of the best flamenco at the fair’s ‘Peña Juan Breva’ from the 12th to 18th August at 1:00 pm.
- Feria del Mar in Muelle Uno: Free concerts and children’s activities on Málaga’s famous waterfront every day from 10:00 pm.
- La Feria Mágica – ‘Viaje al Centro de la Feria: The little ones also have their own fair with an ample selection of activities which include games, workshops, storytelling, theatre, magic and lots more. Several theatre companies will be performing throughout the week-long fair. If you’d like to take part in the fun, head to the Alcazabilla street from 12:00 pm to 3:30 pm (13th to 19th August).
- Bullfighting: The Malaga fair is one of the most important events on the bullfighting calendar and attracts some of the most famous matadors including, El Cid, Paco Ureña, José Garrido, Antonio Ferrera, Miguel Ángel Perrera, Sebastián Castella, El Fandi, López Simón, Ginés Marín, El Juli, Enrique Ponce, Juan José Padilla, Talavante y Jose Mª Manzanares.. From the 12th to 19th August, the Malagueta bullring is the place to go to watch this unique spectacle. (For tickets, please ask at the Sunset Beach Club Leisure Desk located at the entrance to the hotel). On Sunday 19th of August at 7:00 pm, you can enjoy a spectacular bullfight on horseback!
- Real de la Feria (Main fairground): The main fairground opens at midday every day and is where most of the entertainment takes place; concerts, flamenco shows, entertainment for youngsters… It’s also where you need to head to if you want to experience the thrill of the fun fair rides 🙂
- Historical Parade: The final event of the fair, this traditional parade recreates the conquering of the city by the Catholic Kings over 500 years ago. It starts at 8:00 pm on Monday 20th August and is well worth watching!
This year’s Malaga Fair also features an impressive list of talented performers taking to the stage at the Municipal Auditorium on the main fairground:
Saturday 11th August: Encarni Navarro & Arrebato
Sunday 12th August: Tribute to Chiquito de la Calzada
Monday 13th August: Virginia Gámez & Efecto Pasillo
Tuesday 14th August: Jarillo de Lata & Niña Pastori
Thursday 16th August: Siempre Así
Friday 17th August: Juanma Jerez & Marta Sánchez
Saturday 18th August: Aurora Guirado & Merche
If you’re planning on visiting the Malaga Fair and are looking for accommodation near Málaga? Sunset Beach Club is only 20 minutes drive from the centre of Málaga; with fantastic apartment style accommodation and great facilities, it’s the perfect place for an enjoyable family holiday. Feel free to check out our website for more information… www.sunsetbeachclub.com .