The Costa del Sol continues to be one of the most popular winter destinations for tourists from the UK, Ireland and northern Europe. Eager to escape the cold and dreary winters of their home countries, these visitors make the most of the great prices and short flight times to visit our beautiful Coast and bask in some winter sun!
But the sun isn’t the only thing bringing these visitors to our coast in the winter: Below we’ve put together a list of 10 reasons to visit the Costa del Sol in the Winter.
- Easy Access: Most major European airports have regular and reasonably priced flights to Málaga airport. With flight times of just two and a half hours from the UK and Ireland, a quick weekend break in the sun becomes a very viable option.
- Mild Climate: We are fortunate enough to enjoy average 6 hours sunshine a day, average daily temperatures of 18ºC (November to March) and low chance of rain.
- Culture: The Coast’s capital city, Malaga, is a treasure trove for culture lovers: The Cathedral, PicassoMuseum, Alcazaba and historic centre to name but a few of the must-see attractions. The world famous AlhambraPalace in Granada is just 1.5 hours away and daily excursions are available to visit this unique and breathtaking landmark.
- Gastronomy: Tapas Routes & Tours, Wine tasting, Andalucian and international cuisine… need we say more?
- Local towns and markets to visit: Arroyo de la Miel, Benalmadena Pueblo Mijas, Fuengirola, Marbella, Torremolinos and many more.
- Discover the charming White Villages of Andalucia: Hire a car and head off on an adventure into the hills to experience the beauty and tranquillity of towns like Ronda, Ojen, Frigiliana, Gaucín, Casares to name but a few.
- Walking Holidays: From a gentle stroll along the Benalmádena seafront to the more challenging walking routes taking you into the hills and mountains, there’s something for all walkers of all levels.
- Shopping: From daily local markets to vast shopping centres, you’ll have trouble resisting temptation with all the amazing (and cheap) clothes, souvenirs and food on offer.
- Golf: They don’t call it the ‘Costa del Golf’ for nothing! With over 50 courses to choose from, it really is a golfer’s paradise. At Sunset Beach Club we’ve got got our own dedicated golf desk and offer some fantastic golf packages
- Relax and enjoy the sun: Simply chill-out with a good book and your favourite drink by the pool or on the beach.
There’s no doubt that our list could be a lot longer, but we’ll leave that for another post! Can you help us? What other reasons can you think of to visit the Costa del Sol in the Winter? Let us know in the comments below.