If you’re planning a holiday in Benalmadena and are looking for a cheap and easy way to get around town and explore your favourite tourist attractions, look no further; this quick guide to Benalmadena Buses will become your trusted travel companion!
Located just 20 minutes from Málaga airport, with a privileged location overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and an extensive range of services and tourists attractions, Benalmadena is the perfect base from which to explore the Costa del Sol.
A visit to this wonderful part of Spain offers travellers a fabulous selection of towns, attractions and other unique locations to explore. The easiest and most economical way to get to all these amazing places is by using the extensive bus network which communicates Benalmadena and its three main districts (Benalmádena Pueblo, Arroyo de la Miel and Benalmádena Costa) with the Coast’s main cities and towns.
The municipality of Benalmadena is actually integrated in Malaga’s Metropolitan Transport Consortium (Consorcio de Transporte Metropolitano del Area de Málaga) which means that you can use the local Travel Card on local buses, those that connect Benalmadena with other towns and cities and urban buses in Malaga City.
To read all about this useful Travel Card please read this blog post which explains everything you need to know. These cards can be bought in local tobacconists (the closest is near the Bil-Bil Castle, just 5 minutes walk from the hotel) or at specific sales points for the local transport company (CTSA Portillo). Here are some of the benefits of purchasing a travel card:
- It’s easy to use. You just have to swipe it past the machine which then emits your ticket. This will show the price of the journey, the remaining balance on the card (you need to charge it when you purchase it) and the time limit for changing buses.
- Personalisation of the travel card depending on the number of trips you plan to make (0, 1, 2 or 3 zones).
- An important discount on the price of a regular ticket (can be up to 40%), depending on the configuration at the time of purchase.
- It can be used by up to 15 people at a time.
So what about the bus routes available to tourists visiting Benalmadena? Here’s a quick breakdown of the different routes that run through Benalmadena with links to timetables and the actual stops along each route.
|BUS Nº||ROUTE||MORE INFO.|
|M-103||Estupa – Nueva Torrequebrada||See timetable & stops|
|M-110||Málaga – Benalmádena Costa||See timetable & stops|
|M-112||Málaga – Mijas||See timetable & stops|
|M-116||Benalmádena – Teatinos||See timetable & stops|
|M-120||Torremolinos – Fuengirola||See timetable & stops|
|M-121||Torremolinos – Benalmádena- Mijas||See timetable & stops|
|M-123||Churriana – Benalmádena Costa||See timetable & stops|
|M-124||Carola – Torremolinos||See timetable & stops|
|M-125||Patronato – Torremolinos||See timetable & stops|
|M-126||Benalmádena – Torremolinos||See timetable & stops|
|M-320||Málaga – Marbella||See timetable & stops|
|M-620||Mijas Pueblo – Benalmádena Costa||See timetable & stops|
|BUS Nº||ROUTE||MORE INFO.|
If you’re on holiday, chances are you’ll want to know the best way to get to the main tourist attractions in the area… Here’s a list of the main attractions and the buses you’ll need to jump on to get there:
- To get to attractions located in Arroyo de la Miel and the surrounding areas: Selwo Marina, Paloma Park, Benalmádena Cable Car and Tivoli World, you can use the M-103 line which stops outside Sunset Beach Club. The following buses also go to the above attractions but the bus stop is located just in front of the windmill roundabout that leads up to Paloma Park: M-112, M-121, M-126.
- If you fancy taking a trip up to Benalmádena Pueblo to visit the Museo Precolombino, the Butterfly Park or the Buddhist Temple, take the M-103 (bus stops outside Sunset Beach Club) or the M-112, M-121, M-124 or M-126 (from the bus stop in front of windmill roundabout).
- To visit the Marina and Sea Life Aquarium, buses M-110 and M-120 will get you there in just a few minutes. (both stop outside Sunset Beach Club)
- Bioparc Zoo in Fuengirola is another popular attractions, especially if you have kids. Bus nº M-120 will take you to the centre of Fuengirola and then it’s just a short walk to Bioparc. (Please note that this bus stops on the opposite side of the road, just in front of the Best hotel)
- To go to Torremolinos and visit Aqualand Water Park or the Crocodile Park, you’ve got a few options: From Sunset Beach Club take the M-110 and M-120 buses; from Arroyo de la Miel, the M-112, M-121, M-124, M-125 or M-126 buses.
- Fancy visiting the picturesque village of Mijas and take a ride on their famous donkeys? You’ve got a couple of options: Walk up to the windmill roundabout (15 minutes) and then take the M-112 or M-121 buses which run all year. Note that during the summer months there is a night bus service on this route (M-620). The second option is to take the M-120 bus to Fuengirola (bus stop in front of Best hotel) and then take the connecting bus service up to Mijas.
- Malaga City Centre is a must-visit, especially for culture vultures! A visit to the famous Muelle Uno waterfront is also highly recommended. To get to the centre of Malaga just take the M-110 bus (from outside the hotel) and get off at the last stop. From Arroyo de la Miel or the windmill roundabout, you can take the M-112 bus.
- A visit to the capital of glamour and the jetset, Marbella, is also possible by taking the M-320 bus from just in front of the hotel. Please bear in mind that the travel card only covers part of the journey (as far as Mijas Costa) as Marbella is not part of the consortium that runs the travel card service.
If you’ve got an Android smart phone (
sorry iPhone users, the iOS app isn’t available yet UPDATE: the iPhone app is now available to download on iTunes) you can download a free app from Google Play which allows you to see information on all the Benalmadena Bus services (timetables, etc).
We hope you enjoy your stay in Benalmadena and that this guide helps you get out and discover the wonderful sights and attractions our resort has to offer. And don’t forget, if you’re looking for great value accommodation in Benalmadena, be sure to check out our website www.sunsetbeachclub.com 🙂